Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Falling Leader


The creative class. Note
single light bulb in upper right.
No outlet in the room, so sewing machines will run on batteries.




Learning Tapping (EFT)

What a fun day! The school has re-instituted groups that they previously had and started a choir and drama club. Shauna and I started the craft group of 21 students out of the 50 we will be training as peer counselors this Sunday. We taught about creativity and innovation and resourcefulness (they could teach us about that, they just don't know the word or concept). They were so excited to begin seeing what kind of bracelets they can create out of fabric that we left for them along with scissors and other tools. They elected a leader to be responsible for gathering all the materials and for being sure they get together while we are not there. They could not believe that we were leaving all of it for them to use. Tomorrow we have a meeting with the entire student body about the trauma incidents and the plans to be sure that never happens again. Today we did further trauma release training using Emotional Freedom Technique (Tapping) for the PLR students to be models for the meeting tomorrow. The stressful issue they chose was having to take cold showers early in the morning. I would have to do tapping on that issue myself. When we thought we were going to live at the orphanage, one of the things I said I would have to have was a warm shower--there's no way they know of to do that. I’m really glad we are in Kigali at the German Guest House.

One of the leadership training exercises is called “Falling Leader.” I had heard of variations of it before, but not seen nor participated. Today I stood at the edge of a four-foot table with my back to the students and then fell backwards to be caught by them. It sounds easy, but two of the staff were unable to do it. I gathered the same courage I use to leap into major changes in my life or to let go of the zip line high in a tropical forest or to go snorkeling when I’m afraid of swimming. It was exhilarating. I am learning so much, both from the trainings themselves, and from the kids. The questions they ask are illuminating, like “Why does the U.S. speak only English?” “How is it in the U.S. for a black person to marry a white person? How would you feel if your daughter wanted to marry a black man?” “How many rooms does your house have? How many other people live there?” They also ask the most innocent questions and do not know the meaning of what to us are very common words such as nervous, tingling, schedule, artist, scared, etc. They have no word in Kinyarwandan for them.

After the events of last week it is a welcome respite to be providing opportunity for the kids to be creative and find out more about themselves. Alisoun from Scotland is here today, and her sense of humor and sparkling energy have added more fun to our drives and after-the-mountain meetings.

1 comment:

  1. It's that kind of sharing of culture, them learning mine and my learning theirs, that I would find exhilarating too!!

    ReplyDelete